Friday, December 21, 2007

Moving On After Breast Cancer

Breast cancer affects everyone in different ways and depending on the severity of each case, the recovery period varies greatly.

Breast cancer is a life-threatening disease and some very good work is being done to raise awareness and explore preventative measures. Unfortunately, there is still a downside.

This is the fact that these two words "breast cancer" strike fear into the hearts of most women. We all know that it is these dreaded words that sets the alarm bells ringing. The psychological aspect of this means that when a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer her stress levels skyrocket, putting an extra load on the body when she can cope with it the least.

It is of course her attitude towards these words that could be the greatest influence in her recovery.

Having survived breast cancer myself, I feel that some of the healing process is in part how you view the disease itself. As anyone who's read any of my previous articles will know, I did make considerable lifestyle changes to facilitate recovery. I'm also convinced that a big part of the process was down to the attitude I adopted towards cancer.

I had great faith in my surgeon and after the operation when he told me he had removed the cancer I believed him; totally. However, I also understood that the surgeon had done his part, now it was down to me to make sure the cancer didn't come back.

During the recuperation period there is plenty of time to think. It was during this time, that I was able to work out what I think was the cause of my breast cancer. It is a good time to find a strategy for post-breast cancer lifestyle. I had several challenges on a personal level; self-confidence being one of the issues. So I bought several books on the subject that were a real help in getting me back on track.

I've never liked the word remission, because it always seems to me that when someone says they are in remission, it is as if they expect the cancer to come back. The Law of attraction states that you will attract what you think about the most. If you spend your time expecting the cancer to come back, the odds are pretty good that it will. Of course I have absolutely no medical qualifications, and I don't profess to know the answers, I can only say what has worked for me.

I've always believed that stress caused my breast cancer, and part of the changes I've made to ensure the cancer didn't return was to eliminate as much stress from my life as I could.

For my part, I felt the best thing was to move on as soon as possible. So after a few mammograms and checkups that put me in the clear, I cut all ties with the breast cancer episode and got on with my life. I don't think about it very often, and I'm inclined to treat it as just another surgical procedure. It was a necessary procedure such as my appendectomy, but by not giving it too much credence, it means my breast cancer remains low on my list of things to think about.

Overcoming breast cancer is not easy, but advances in medical science help surgeons work miracles. Then it's down to the individual to decide what part their attitude can play in effecting a lasting cure.

My last piece of advice would have to be, set your self up to enjoy life. You know what they say, this isn't a dress rehearsal. This is it the real thing. Enjoy it now.

Author Resource: Trish is a Life Coach specializing in health wellness and relationships. She has a very informative and authorative site on how to become Fit For Life.

Visit her site now.
http://www.wellbeing-information.com/

Article From Mister Article

No comments: